Zurich meeting: FIFA withdraws invitation for Dr Nduom, GFA

Author: Rosalind K. Amoh
FIFA withdraws invitation
FIFA withdraws invitation

 

FOOTBALL’s world governing body, FIFA late on Wednesday, withdrew an invitation for a delegation from Ghana football to attend a meeting with a government delegation over the current impasse between the two parties.

On Monday, FIFA’s represenatitive for Africa and the Carribean, Veron Mosengo-Omba, sent an invitation to both the Minister of Youth and Sports, Hon Isaac Asiamah and his delegation and also to a football delegation made up of Kweku Baaka Eyiah, Dr Paa Kwesi Nduom and Nana Sam Brew Butler to attend a meeting in Zurich on Thursday, but the football delegation was prevented from travelling as FIFA sent a mail to withdraw the invitation, based on the Minister’s insistence that there was an injunction on football, and thus the invited men could not travel for the purpose for which they had been invited.

 

While the invitation for the football delegation has been withdrawn, the meeting with the government delegation will take place, as it has been rescheduled for Friday, in Zurich.

A letter signed by Solomon Mudege, Senior Development Manager for Africa and Carribean Regions, and copied to Dr  Nduom and Mr Eyiah, the football reps, said:

“Due to the Ghanaian government’s insistence that the court injunction against Ghana FA is still valid, we have had to withdraw your invitations to the meeting in Zurich.

“We understand that your participation in the meeting would be against the relevant Ghanaian laws and you might personally face certain sanctions. As such, we advise you not to travel to Zurich.

“A letter has been sent to the Ghanaian government confirming that only FIFA and Ghanaian government will participate in the meeting in Zurich. A new date of Friday, June 29, has been set for the meeting.

“We apologise for any inconvenience caused and assure you of our commitment to resolving the current issues in Ghana football.”

Kweku Eyiah, invited to represent the GFA, was unable to travel to Zurich

The withdrawal of the invitation also means Mr Asante, the Deputy General Secretary of the GFA who was also invited to facilitate the paperworks for the Ghana's Under-20 female football team, the Black Princesses, towards their participation in the FIFA Under-20 Women's World Cup in France in August, could be also travel, thus the team will have to wait for the outcome of Friday's meeting to know their fate.

This is the second time in one week that the football delegation has been prevented by the Ministry of Youth and Sports from meeting with the FIFA delegation citing the court injunction.

Last week Friday, the FIFA delegation led by Mosengo-Omba came to Accra and was scheduled to meet the two parties, first with the General Secretary of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) and then together with the government delegation, per a schedule received from FIFA.

However, a day before the scheduled meeting, the Minister wrote to the GFA General Secretary, Isaac Addo, reminding him of the 10-day court injunction secured by the Attorney General on all football activities, thus it would be in contravention of the law for any meeting to be held.

The Ministry further announced that the said meeting with FIFA had been postponed, only for the meeting to take place on Friday with just the FIFA delegation and government delegation in attendance.

The FIFA team was further told he could not meet the GFA team, even privately, as that would be against the injunction.

With the 10 days elapsing last week Friday, FIFA sent a new invitation on Monday to meet the two parties in Zurich on Thursday, but a day before the said meeting, a letter was received from FIFA, informing the football delegation that their invitation had been withdrawn due to the feedback from Mr Asiamah.