Kotoko will sell Yacouba for good money

Author: Rosalind K. Amoh
Sogne Yacouba
Sogne Yacouba

Kumasi Asante Kotoko have decided to part ways with Burkinabe striker, Yacouba Songne, after efforts to get the striker to the negotiation table have proved futile.

However, the striker will not be allowed to walk away cheaply, with the Porcupine Warriors placing a price tag of $200,000 on him.
George Amoako, the Chief Executive Officer of Kotoko, yesterday confirmed the management’s decision to cash in on the unsettled striker, saying they had no other choice than to put him on the transfer market.

“We have no choice but to agree to let him go as he has requested. He has refused to sit down to the negotiation table on two occasions when we tried to get him to seal a new deal.

“At this point, he feels Kotoko can no longer serve his interest and, therefore, not ready to listen to anything. He is bent on leaving and we can not continue to let him hold us up. We have also decided to move on without him,” Mr Amoako told the Graphic Sports yesterday.

Mr Amoako indicated also that the player was in Burkina Faso instead of being in camp to prepare for their continental campaign with the club’s officials unsure when he would return.

“He is still our player and has been registered for the Champions League campaign. If a good offer is tabled, we will accept it and let him go but anything between $150,00 and $200,000,” the Kotoko CEO stressed.

Already, Kotoko have reportedly rejected a $100,000 offer from South African giants, Orlando Pirates for the 27-year-old striker who join the Porcupine Warriors from Stade Malien in 2017.

Last Saturday, the Kotoko CEO gave the clearest indication yet that they were ready to move on without Yacouba, telling some Kotoko faithful to begin to think of the club without the Burkinabe striker.

Addressing delegates at the National Circles Congress in Kumasi, Mr Amoako said management would not allow the player to hold the club to ransom and had thus decided to plan for the future without him.

“I want you to take your minds off Yacouba so we progress. We have put things in place to get the team to forge ahead without Yacouba. He can’t help our cause.

“He is among the players we have put on the transfer market and we are only waiting to receive a good offer to let him go. We will get good replacement for him. We have recruited young, more determined and well-built players to replace him, so his departure will not create a void in the team. We are moving on without him and we want you to also understand that,” he told the Kotoko faithful at the congress.

Although he struggled to stay fit, Yacouba bagged two goals with five assists in his eight appearances for Asante Kotoko in their CAF Confederation Cup campaign last season and had also scored some decisive goals in their league and FA Cup campaigns since his arrival from Mali.

Kotoko had hoped that he would help their CAF Champions League campaign in the coming season, but once it became obvious that he was not keen to stay on, they decided to plan without him and had already made some recruitments as possible replacements in their bid to strengthen their squad for Africa.

Within the last three weeks, three players -- Ugandan George Abege from Kariobangi Sharks, Ivorian striker, Adingra Bidodane Moussa from Nigeria Premier League giants Lobi Stars, as well as a former Wa All Stars’ player, Richard Arthur – have been brought on and registered for Africa.

Arthur was signed on last week after his one-year contract with Ethiopian side, St George, ended.