Agyemang Badu: I'll comeback from illness stronger

Author: BBC Sport
Ghana international Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu had surgery on his left knee in July 2018

Ghana and Hellas Verona midfielder, Emmanuel Agyemang Badu, insists that suffering from a blood clot on his lungs will make him 'psychologically stronger.'

The 28-year-old admits that he was left worried after the initial diagnosis of a pulmonary embolism after he was rushed to hospital by his club suffering from a sudden bout of dizziness.

He is yet to return to light training since hospitalised on August 14 and still undergoing tests and awaits the all-clear to start working in the gym.

"I have never heard of such illness in my life, so I was shaking after the explanation from doctors what my situation was," he told BBC Sport.

"It's a bit better now and I am responding to treatment and on the verge of returning to gym work.

"What happened we just have to give thanks to God because it could have been worse."

The setback came as he was trying to relaunch his career with Hellas Verona after a frustrating two years with Italian rivals Udinese.

His last two years at Udinese saw him  being loaned out to Turkish club Bursaspor and then returned with an injury that kept him out for almost the whole of last season.

"When you go through what I went through last season and return to have a good pre-season and this happens, of course, you will be disappointed," he explained.

"I am a footballer, but first I am a human being, so I go through all the emotions too."

Understandably, his illness also left his family, and in particular his mother back in Ghana, worrying about him.

Since signing his first professional contract in 2007 with Ghanaian club Berekum Chelsea at the age of 16, Badu has been the bread winner of his extended family.

"My family were sad and panicking once the news started flying that I had been rushed to the hospital," he said.

"The timing and everything was a bit weird. This was  because I had just returned from my summer holidays (in Ghana) and they had seen that I was well.

"I heard they started praying for me, and it was not until they heard from me and I explained that I was out of intensive care that they were able to relax in a small way."