Paulus hangs up gloves after defeat to Tagoe

Author: Peter Sarbah
Paulus Moses
Paulus Moses

Namibian boxer, Moses Paulus, has quit boxing after he was defeated by Emmanuel 'Gameboy' Tagoe in a WBO Africa lightweight championship bout at the Bukom Boxing Arena on Saturday.

The 40-year-old former WBA world lightweight title holder said he had seen it all in the ring after many years of dedicating his life to the sport and that he felt it was time for him to bow out.

In a rather surprising announcement after his defeat, the Namibian said he was hanging up his gloves and expressed his gratitude to Tagoe for the opportunity to fight him for the vacant title.

The judges scored the bout 120-109, 120-109 and 120-110 all in favour of Tagoe.

“I just want to announce that this is my last fight. You know I am 40 years old now so this is my last fight, congratulations to Emmanuel Tagoe,” Paulus said.

Paulus retires with a ring record of 40 wins and 25 knockouts in 45 fights, having previously won the WBA lightweight title after dethroning Japanese title holder Yusuke Kobori in Yokohama City, Japan on  January 3, 2009. He lost the crown a year later in his second title defence on home soil against Venezuelan, Miguel Acosta, after suffering a sixth round knockout.

In 2012, he won the vacant WBO International lightweight title with a split points decision against South Africa's Cassius Baloyi.