American lightweight prospect, Teofimo Lopez, believes he is ready to dethrone IBF champion, Richard Oblitey Commey, after earning a mandatory shot at the Ghanaian crown.
Lopez, who defeated Masayoshi Nakatani via a unanimous points decision over 12 rounds last Friday, said his focus would be to beat Commey by the close of the year before targeting a unification bout with WBA and WBO titlist, Vasyl Lomachenko, next year.
Having won the 12-rounder with a 118-110, 118-110 and 119-109 decision, Lopez -- undefeated in 14 bouts -- says he will attempt to snatch the IBF crown from Commey in a career defining moment.
Commey,the hard-hitting Ghanaian champion, will line up against Lopez in what could be his last fight of the year, having dispatched Raymundo Beltran of Mexico in the eighth round in his first title defence on June 28, three months after winning the world crown with a second round TKO victory over Russia’s Isa Chaniev on February 2 in Frisco, Texas.
Speaking after his win over Nakatani last Friday at the MGM National Harbour, in Maryland, 21-year-old Lopez noted that he was bent on fighting Commey next before targeting all four belts against Lomachenko.
“We are gonna fight Richard Commey, and after that, we are getting all four belts against Lomachenko,” he exclaimed.
Commey, on the other hand, touched down in Ghana from his New York base last week,after his victory over Beltran in California.
The 32-year-old Ghanaian, who is yet to lose a fight in four bouts since teaming up with renowned American trainer, Andre Rozier, would be keen to add Lopez to his list of victims in the buildup to a dream unification bout against Lomachenko, having seen their planned fight in April collapse due to an injury the Ghanaian sustained in the fight against Chaniev.
Commey has won all four previous bouts via knockout victories against Alejandro Luna, Yardley Cruz, Isa Chaniev and Raymundo Beltran, and his expected slugfest with Lopez later in the year could prove one of the biggest fight in his career.