Ghanaians have expressed disappointment in the management of boxer, Jesse Manyo Plange, after he was dribbled to fight a non title bout instead of the proposed IBO world bantamweight title promised him against Michael Dasmarinas.
Plange who earned a split draw with the Filipino in Singapore last Saturday, left the shores of the country ostensibly to fight in a world title bout having completed the initial contract to challenge the 26-year-old Asian for the world title belt.
Unfortunately, upon reaching Singapore, promoters of the bout informed the camp of Plange that the Ghanaian boxer was not recognised in the IBO ratings leaving them with no option than to cowtow to their demands of fighting in a contest fight.
Even though the boxer had an option to walk away from the new arrangement because they had been deceived, his team sadly embraced the new terms and went ahead to grant the fight.
This was confirmed to the Graphic Sports Online by coach of the boxer, Daniel Lartekwei Lartey on Wednesday when he said that they jumped on to the new offer because that would enable them enter into the IBO ratings since the fight was sanction by the body.
Coach Lartey said his team decided to go ahead with the fight because they were promised by the promoter of a rematch which will have the IBO world title up for grab.
"It wasn't what we went there for but the promoters kicked against putting Dasmarinas title on the line because Plange was not known in the ratings and we had to agree for the fight to go on.
"We decided to allow the fight to go ahead because it will enable him show himself up to be considered for ratings aside the promoter promising us a rematch with the IBO world title on the line," coach Lartey noted.
But the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) president Peter Zwennes has rubbished the claims by the boxer's coach for his lack of appreciation of the contract prior to the fight.
Mr Zwennes who signed the contract on behalf of the boxer, remained awed by the coaches claims because it was stated before the fight that it was a non title contest and wondered where Lartey got the impression from that they were going to fight for a world title.
"It was clear before they departed to Singapore that Manyo Plange was going for a non-title contest because it was stated on the contract that I signed on his behalf. I however don't know how he arrived at his conclusion of a world championship," he said.