Former International Boxing Federation (IBF) bantamweight champion, Joseph “King Kong” Agbeko, says his age will not affect his dream of becoming a two-time world champion.
Agbeko, who is currently ranked top by the WBO in the bantamweight division, believes he is in a good condition to wrest the WBO crown from South African champion, Zolani Tete.
The 39-year-old boxer told the Graphic Sports in an interview that he was hopeful of landing a world title shot to challenge the South African by the end of the year.
Agbeko is undefeated in his last seven fights, a move which has seen him clinch the World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Africa title and defended it twice against Ekow Wilson and Hashimu Zuberi.
Agbeko refuted claims that he was too old to become a world champion again, insisting that he was not perturbed by the backlash from Ghanaians since there had been several title holders at relatively older ages.
“I am focused on getting a shot to fight Zolani Tete for the WBO crown, and my age will not be a problem to me because I have a rich experience.
“My team is just waiting for the title shot and we are not listening to whatever criticisms by Ghanaians because I know I have the capabilities to challenge at the highest level,” he added.
Agbeko (36-5, 26 KOs) could be challenging for a world title for the first time in six years since losing to Guillermo Rigondeaux for the WBA and WBO super bantamweight world titles.
He lost his IBF world title to Abner Mares in August, 2011 on controversial grounds and failed to retrieve it in a rematch on December 23 that same year.