Two days after the new Greater Accra Regional Hospital at Ridge, was officially opened to the public, the facility is yet to be operational.
According to a Citi FM report, a visit to the facility Friday morning showed no activity as compared to Wednesday when nurses, doctors were seen busily attending to patients who had visited the facility during the opening ceremony.
The Minister of Health, Mr Kwaku Agyeman-Manu led the official opening ceremony of the 420-bed project which was financed by the government of Ghana with a credit facility from Exim Bank and HSBC Bank of the United States of America.
In November 2016, former President John Mahama inaugurated the first phase of expansion works at the hospital.
The Head of Communications at the Ministry of Health, Robert Cudjoe, in a radio interview with Citi FM said the Ministry was unaware of events at the facility.
According to him, all equipment needed for the facility to be operational had been installed; therefore it was surprising to hear that the hospital had been closed.
“We went round and all equipment has been fixed but we are bringing in some additional equipment. This is a big hospital and a lot of work must go on and as to whether it has been shut down I have no idea because we opened it just Wednesday and no information has come to us that someone has reported and has been refused to be taken care of,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Thomas Anaba who has been transferred to the University of Development Studies (UDS) in Tamale, has challenged the move.